Sunday, May 22, 2011

Digital Communication

“Do, or do not.  There is no try.”  -- Yoda

    I try.  I try to use e-mail, cell phones, and instant messaging technologies appropriately.  I e-mail decently well.  I refrain from texting while driving or while having important conversations with others in person.  I do find myself trying to take care of too many things at once, leading to my talking on the cell phone in public places and in the car more than I would wish.  I do not have loud private conversations, but I sometimes cram as much as possible into my grocery shopping trip or other errands.  This represents an area in which I need to grow.  With my sister living overseas, I need to speak to her at very specific times when our awake time coincides.  Sometimes this means that I am out and about during these conversations, though I always put down the phone or hang up while I interact with people at stores or at restaurants.  I want to do more than try with setting limits on my cell phone use in public: I want to do it, and I want to set the best example possible for my own children.
    Students need to be aware of how the tone of written messages conveys meaning beyond the stated word.  A lack of face-to-face interaction and body language can make it difficult to “read” e-mails.  Good grammar, polite words, and proper spelling when communicating in school or professional environments ranks as a high priority.  Features such as auto-correct can create possibly disastrous or humorous situations, as well; students, parents, and teachers must proofread even the most inane of messages.  Paying attention to the details of digital communication smooths the tricky road of human communication, in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment